The Building of A Brand

Welcome to my blog! I thought it was time that I start sharing my experiences and my testimony a little every week as my family and I go about turning Sophie Grace Maui into something that we can leave to the next generation. I will post new designs and future events of course. But what I hope this blog accomplishes is something a little more personal for those who read it. This is my story of being a Mom, a wife, a business owner and failing to do it all but learning and loving along the way.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Priorities

Today is hopefully a turning point for me. As of today I will no longer be working weekends. This was never important before as Greg never had a Monday thru Friday kind of job before. But he does now and if I ever want to see him or be together as a family at the same time then this was something that I needed to do. My goal is to begin taking myself off of the schedule completely. I would like to run this company from a management position. Meaning that I would spend a few hours in each store during week days. But that I would have time to do things that I can't do when I'm required to open and close a shop everyday. Like finish our website, or sit down with our graphic designer to work on some much needed advertising pieces. Or better yet, make jewelry.

I'm hoping that my new schedule will begin to better me as a Mom and Wife first but also as a designer as well. I'm hoping that in the long run it will be a smart move from a financial perspective too. But right now I know it's going to hurt. Hiring a full time staff means doubling my payroll. Which means that it's time to start sacrificing certain spending habits. It means possibly moving into a smaller home and it means being more responsible with our money.

It's times like these I'm thankful that I don't own a home. I wouldn't have the freedom that I do now to make choices that benefit our company. Like cutting our rent in half. I'm also thankful that I have a husband that though he has his own career he is still very much a part of our family business. I'm thankful that he too is willing to go without a fancy car and home-owning so that we can build something bigger for our family. I'm also thankful that I have a Mom who was willing to jump into this boat with us. Without her I wouldn't be able to step away as I'm trying to do now. And lastly I'm thankful that the Lord has filled my life with very qualified people to assist me. I used to always have a really difficult time finding a staff. Even just one person. Now I have them coming out my ears. All in the Lords timing I guess.

I know that God gave me this little business. And I also know that he doesn't want me to continue working as I have been. I don't think I was making bad choices in the past. It's just part of it. But all the signs are there that it's time rearrange my priorities. So I have faith that my efforts will be blessed. But I'm also confident that just because it's God's will doesn't mean it will be entirely easy. So maybe keep us in your prayers anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment