The Building of A Brand

Welcome to my blog! I thought it was time that I start sharing my experiences and my testimony a little every week as my family and I go about turning Sophie Grace Maui into something that we can leave to the next generation. I will post new designs and future events of course. But what I hope this blog accomplishes is something a little more personal for those who read it. This is my story of being a Mom, a wife, a business owner and failing to do it all but learning and loving along the way.

Friday, January 28, 2011

EMBARRASING!



I'm a little bit frustrated with facebook. I'm not a junkie by any means. I rarely go on my personal page and when I do it's to post photos of Sophie for her grandparents to see. It's my business one that has me a bit conflicted. I was late to the facebook game. I thought it was evil and I wanted nothing to do with it. But my very smart social networking genius of a brother in law convinced me otherwise. So I thought that I would try it. I had been collecting email addresses for years from my various locations and didn't really do all that much with them. So I set up my facebook page. Or rather I had one of my employees do it for me since I was so clueless. She did and ran all my collected email address through the friend finder. Lots accepted my friend request so I was happy.

The thing is though that these email address were collected over several years. So some people who hadn't heard from me in a really long time or who didn't remember me denied my friend requests. Which is fine. BUT as far as I know facebook doesn't allow you to track that or delete those people. So every time I enter another book of email addresses that people willingly write down in my guest book I run another friend finder. And again, people from years ago decline my offer because I can't figure out how to separate those from the new ones unless I search them one by one. Which I guess is what I will have to do now in the free time I don't really have because facebook just put me on friend restriction!

I'm not sure if that's happened to any of you before. Probably not, or at least I hope not. The whole thing is kind of embarrassing. First facebook scolded me. Seriously! And then it made me read an agreement saying I wouldn't send friend requests to people I didn't know and THEN at the bottom it made me click a button with the words "I understand". I'm humiliated as I write this.

When I retold this story everybody thought it was hysterical and laughed at me. But I was really really offended. I went to bed angry and hurt! At facebook! Most people would roll their eyes and stop using facebook. But it's actually a really big part of my business. It pays the rent during slow months. So I can't do that. And I understand why they have these rules in place. And I'm glad they do. But I'm really not a creep! Oh well. I guess that I will have to get over it. But it honestly felt like JR High when the boy you like breaks up with you! It's a feeling that never really leaves you.

5 comments:

  1. You should switch from a regular facebook profile to a "page" I'll send you an email on it, but this sounds HILARIOUS! I love that you had to click on the I Understand button. ahhahahahahhah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was priceless. Like writing on a "i will not chew gum in class" over and over again on a chalk board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you entered them all at once?? Spammer !!! Wait.... Are you blaming me ? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shep-not blaming you at all! You are a genius. Thanks for laughing at me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely do a FAN PAGE :) You're amazing! I just bought a necklace from you at the Grand W.

    ReplyDelete